Friends of the
Preserving Inyo County’s Past for the Future
Note: The Museum will be closed temporarily on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9/1/2021 to 9/30/2021.
What’s On Display Now?
We are very fortunate here in the Eastern Sierra to have such a treasure as the Eastern California Museum. Please come join us in celebrating more than 90 years of preserving our Eastern Sierra history and heritage!
Become a Member
The Friends of the Eastern California Museum (FECM) work to promote, preserve and protect the important collections and memories that make up Inyo County’s only regional museum. The Friends raise funds and contribute time and work to help maintain and improve the museum’s buildings and grounds. We support special exhibits and arrange for speakers, field trips, and programs that inform and entertain Inyo County residents and visitors who come from far and near. We have partnered with the Carson and Colorado group to display and promote the restored Slim Princess steam engine. We also provide funds to maintain the Museum’s collections and enhance its permanent exhibits. Every March we hold our Annual Meeting with a potluck dinner and guest speaker. We invite you to join with us to support the Museum. FECM is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Repair Days, Spring & Fall Clean up, Exhibits…how do you want to make a difference?
The Eastern California Museum maintains the historic Commander’s House in Independence: The Commander’s House was built at Fort Independence in 1873, after the Earthquake of March 26, 1872 destroyed the adobe buildings there. Commanding officers of Fort Independence resided in the house until the Fort was abandoned in 1877. The Fort buildings were auctioned in 1883 and the Commander’s House was purchased by V.G. Thompson for $345. In 1889, the Commander’s House was purchased by Mr. S. A. Densmore and moved to its present location. Although it was sold to the City of Los Angeles in 1928, it remained a private residence until 1961. In 1968, the House was leased to Inyo County and it is presently operated by the Eastern California Museum.